Old Town Caboose

On May 21, 1869, Abram Moore sold a right of way to the Georgia Airline Railroad.  The Southern Railroad and depot were constructed through this section of Gwinnett County in 1871.  The village of Suwanee grew around this depot.  A second small railroad station, called Shadow Brook, was added on the south side of the railroad tracks at what is now the intersection of the tracks and Lawrenceville-Suwanee Road.  "The Belle," which stopped at this station, was in operation from 1879 to 1931.  In 1881 the Richmond & Danville railroad opened a narrow-guage railroad, known as the Lawrenceville-Suwanee Narrow-Guage Railroad, which ran from Lawrenceville to Suwanee.  Suwanee became a changing station as people transferred from this line to the Southern Railroad line that could take them into Atlanta.

In 1992, Norfolk Southern donated a retired caboose to set up in Old Town.  The caboose was painted red and restored by residents.  Two years later, they kicked off its annual Caboose Lighting for the holiday season.